Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 26, 2012

Gun Sales Spike After Obama Wins Reelection

Posted by on Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Texas:

Both the Star Telegram and the Houston Chronicle reported that gun shops had announced an increase in sales since Obama’s Nov. 6 election victory. In Fort Worth, gun sales have reportedly been twice as high as in the same period last year. And, as the Chronicle noted, The FBI reported an 18 percent spike in firearm background checks increasing in the months leading up the election. Officials say background checks are the leading indicator of sales growth.

In their defense, at least judging by the trolls around here, most gun owners are idiots.

Sargon Bighorn 1
Paranoia.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on November 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 2
Didn't gun sales spike after he was elected the first time?
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on November 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
sperifera 3
Eagerly awaiting Fifty-Two-Eighty's requisite stoopid comment in three, two, one...
Posted by sperifera on November 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
GlibReaper 4
Paranoid androids.
Posted by GlibReaper on November 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this
I'm a left-wing Seattle liberal and a lifetime member of the NRA.

I'm also not an idiot.

Posted by CPN on November 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 6
Oh, I should point out something I often forget, I too am a gun owner, a leftyleftleftist... and I'm not too dumb.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on November 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 7
And he's the most threatened President in history.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
treacle 8
[redacted]
Posted by treacle on November 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 9
Very original Dominic.

The next post going to troll about:

1) Fat people
2) Pit bulls
3) Vegans

This is an official slog poll.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM · Report this
@5 Belonging to the NRA after 1973 would almost immediately qualify somebody as an idiot.

Like cutting your own hair, determining yourself NOT to be an idiot requires a deft hand at experienced idiocy. And you really need a good friend's honest opinion on the matter.

Posted by tkc on November 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
@5 "I'm a left-wing Seattle liberal and a lifetime member of the NRA. I'm also not an idiot."

Great! Please explain the NRA's endorsement of Governor Romney, who actually signed statutes limiting guns, over President Obama, who actually expanded gun carrying to include trains and national parks.

www.rawstory.com/
rs/2012/10/08/
maddow-shows-why-the-nra-is-just-a-republican-interest-group
Posted by You Know He's After Our Guns, Because He Hasn't Tried... on November 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
I assume that means they have high confidence in a resurgent economy, so they are willing to spend big bucks on luxury items. If it were hostile paranoia, we would also see a spike in sales of gasoline, empty bottles and old rags
Posted by Limey Rick on November 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
@5 and 6, raised by pacifist Quakers, voted for Obama twice, and own scary, scary guns too. Can occasionally solve the Sunday NYT crossword, so probably medium smart. On the other hand, stupid enough to rise to Dom's bait, so the jury's out.

@3 5280 already has enough guns to arm a small state's national guard, so he's probably not so worried.
Posted by Westside forever on November 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
Hernandez 14
I believe it. At Thanksgiving dinner, my sister-in-law's boyfriend told my wife that he was going on a hunting trip, in order to practice for when Obama destroys society. We don't know if he meant "practice for when I have to hunt my own food because Obama destroyed society" or "practice for when I have to shoot people because Obama destroyed society." Either way, hoo-boy. Paranoia indeed.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on November 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
@10
I think the easy answer to whether someone is an idiot or not is whether they're buying a gun NOW when the prices are higher due to all the real idiots buying them.
If you realize that it is only the idiots who are in a panic about how Obama is going to take away their guns then you're probably not an idiot.
If you remember the previous times when a Democrat was elected and the idiots went into a panic about "X is going to take our guns" then you're probably not an idiot.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on November 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 16
@15, good point. Also makes me feel smarter again, as I've had my gun since 1994 as a present from my Dad for passing hunter's safety courses.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on November 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
Simone 17
I'm pretty sure gun sales spiked on black friday as that store called cabelas (near the tulalip casino) had a free rifle for the first 500 or so shoppers.
Posted by Simone on November 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 18
@13 is correct.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on November 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
jnmend 19
Better buy those guns while Obama is President so that when Obama is President you have them when he takes them away.

WHAT?!?!?!?!
Posted by jnmend on November 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 20
Homer Simpson at gun shop. Classic.

Posted by mikethehammer on November 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 21
A bunch of angry southern dumb asses buying more guns? Where's the harm? What can possibly go wrong?
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on November 26, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
seandr 22
I call bullshit.

They're releasing made-up numbers to give the illusion that everyone is buying a gun, so ya know, maybe you should, too.
Posted by seandr on November 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 23
Most gun owners have X guns and they would like to have X+1. Most bicyclists have X bikes and would like to have X+1. Motorcyclists? Own X motorcycles, and have their eye on X+1. Why? If you have to ask...

So why don't they go buy X+1? W-I-F-E. That's why. So ANY excuse that will help convince the old wifey to let you change X into X+1 is a good excuse. Sale. Obama. Rapture. It only makes sense now because...

That's just how it is. So now they have X+1 guns. But that means X is the new X+1. So now they will need another excuse. Maybe the fiscal cliff. Or maybe if we avoid the fiscal cliff, they'll want another gun to celebrate.

It doesn't matter. The point is, if Jay Leno has more than you, you need another one. It has nothing to do with Obama.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on November 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 24
I want to buy a small nuclear arsenal. I need to protect my family and the constitution says I can be armed. The NRA told me so.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 25
And they said he wouldn't be good for the economy.
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on November 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Looking For a Better Read 26
@10 - I cut my own hair, and I look quite fetching. Even my mom says so.
Posted by Looking For a Better Read on November 26, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
@4. Ironic that when I am king they will be first against the wall. With their opinion which is of no consequence at all.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 26, 2012 at 5:55 PM · Report this
biffp 28
@22, agree. If the stats are so good on gun sales, let's have that federal register that is so impossible to put together.
Posted by biffp on November 26, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
I wouldn't say that all gun owners are idiots, but idiots are magnetically attracted to the idea of owning guns (and pit bulls).
Posted by tiktok on November 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM · Report this
Went to the nearby wally-world to pick up some .22 for the backyard tree rats and for an upcoming mistletoe hunt. They were CLEANED OUT of .22 and almost all pistol ammo and .223. This paranoia driven economy is a real PITA.
Posted by kylecheez on November 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM · Report this
Lissa 32
Oh Dominic, you can do better than that. You know perfectly well that most of the gun owners on Slog even tempered liberals, and are stock piling neither guns nor canned goods in anticipation of the Obamalypse. Now stop being such little pot stirrer.
Posted by Lissa on November 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM · Report this
Gotta hand it to gun shops. Play on the fear, up the sales. It's fine capitalism, I suppose.

It never ceases to astonish me that people who can't afford medical care or food can manage to buy another gun.

And for what it's worth, I'm gay, liberal and a gun owner. Not a member of the NRA, though.
Posted by FranFW on November 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM · Report this
@15 for the win. Some folks believe the stories about Obama using his reelection as an excuse to pass onerous gun control laws. These folks are idiots. Or, at the very least, they have an idiotic understanding of politics. The last thing the Democrats want to do is piss off folks from gun loving states like Montana. Quick quiz (no Googling): The Senators from Montana belong to what political party:

Democratic. That's right, both Senators from Montana are Democrats. Only an idiot (for a President) would pass legislation that would piss off both Montana Senators. Obama is not that stupid. One might think that some gun makers and suppliers are purposely stoking the unfounded fears in order to increase demand. No, that couldn't happen ...
Posted by Ross on November 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Steven Bradford 35
I wonder how many gun dealers gave money to the Obama campaign, since he seems so good for their bottom line?
Posted by Steven Bradford http://www.seanet.com/~bradford/ on November 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 36
sometimes I wonder - could the right wing gun nuts be building their own army right before our eyes? we've got millions and millions of these people feeling defeated, desperate and anticipating civil war. With most of the guns in this country (w/ exception of military)

Just sayin'!
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on November 26, 2012 at 9:08 PM · Report this
balderdash 37
@1, Paranoia AND racism (and maybe some misguided xenophobia).
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on November 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM · Report this
rob! 38
@26: hooray for the Flowbee, eh?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 39
Everytime Obama sneezes gun sales skyrocket - cause everything he does is just a cover for his secret plan to steal hillybilly weapons.
Posted by Schmapdi on November 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 40
If “smart” Liberals really believe that the Red Necks are arming up in anticipation of a Hillbilly uprising, “smart” Liberals must be buying their own guns. That would be the “smart” thing for them to do. I mean, if they have any intention of defending the welfare state they’ve worked so hard to build… (They must realize that the Military will almost certainly side with the Hillbillies in the coming apocalypse).

There must be a Tree Hugger / Hillbilly arms race behind these numbers.

Wonder who will win when the shooting starts…
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Lissa 41
@40: Oh I wouldn't worry doll. One way or the other you'll be one of the first against the wall. :)
Posted by Lissa on November 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM · Report this
Bonefish 42
I already have a rifle for venison, a shotgun for duck, and a pistol for beer cans.

I don't see the need for more than that (or even a genuine "need" for what I already have), but then again I'm not a collector/hobbyist, a Somali pirate, or a racist right-wing shitbag who thinks that THIS time, Obama's REALLY gonna come for our guns and I'd better stock up lest my house become vulnerable to all kinds of brown folk!

I think both of these post-election panics have been nothing more than gun shop owners duping gullible right-wingers (is there any other kind?) into giving them more business.
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on November 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM · Report this
Bonefish 43
40: I think the right-wingers, being the easily-panicked trigger-happy cowards they are, would just off each other on sight without ever having the chance to organize. Chances of this would double if there they found some scrap of wealth or weaponry to squabble over.

So I'm not too worried about any "hillbilly revolt."
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on November 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
GlibReaper 44