Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 26, 2012

The 2012 Christmas Shopping Season Claims Its First Victim

Posted by on Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Because it's not the launch of Christmas season without at least one unnecessary death:

The Black Friday shopping weekend took a tragic turn early Sunday morning when a suspected shoplifter died while being apprehended by employees and a contract security officer outside a Lithonia Walmart.

Two store employees who helped catch and subdue the suspect before police arrived have been placed on leave. The security officer, who police say may have placed the suspected thief in a choke hold, is no longer working for Walmart, the company said.

The cause of death had not been determined Sunday evening, and police investigators were awaiting results from the medical examiner.

The man was suspected of stealing two DVD players, which is apparently now punishable by death. Merry Christmas!

Rotten666 1
If you're gonna steal, you best have the stamina to take a beating if you're caught.

Posted by Rotten666 on November 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
sperifera 2
Merry Christmas??? Please don't push your religious beliefs on the rest of us. It's Happy Holidays, please.
Posted by sperifera on November 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
I for one welcome our Pagan German Tree Loving Overlords and their human sacrifices at Yuletide.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
very bad homo 4
So a shoplifter died? BOO HOO. You steal from me, I'll beat your dumb ass.
Posted by very bad homo on November 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
schmacky 5
This is a dumb and terrible way to die, but at least they weren't trampled by crazed Black Friday shoppers at a Best Buy.
Posted by schmacky on November 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
emor 6
@4

Uh, nobody should be killed because they shoplift. I hate shoplifters too, but I don't want them to be beat to death.
Posted by emor on November 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 7
@4, I agree, beating and or choking shoplifters to death is harsh...they should just be shot in the back of the head in front of their children on Christmas morning.

And then the Walmart employees can take the stolen toys away from the children.

HO HO HO!!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 8
This an uplifting post. So you assholes think it's ok to beat someone to death for shoplifting? Fuck all of you.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on November 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 9
Well, not all of you. Just the assholes who think it's ok to beat, much less kill someone, for theft. Jail? Yes.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on November 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 10
@6

Nobody should pay higher store prices to train security guards to guarantee they never get too rough with the shoplifter. We should pay higher taxes to help people in need, not to protect thieves from the risks of their choices.

That security guard has a family you know.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on November 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 11
@10 - How would training security guards employed by a privately held company lead to higher taxes?

Posted by Free Lunch on November 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM · Report this
@2: I'm no kind of Christian, never have been. It's still Merry Christmas. I'll happily add in a Happy Chanukah or Ramadan or whatever fits your spiritual belief system. But I'm not going to hide the entirely secular holiday I celebrate with my family because it gets someone's knickers twisted.

@8: I don't think anyone here is okay with someone getting beaten to death for shoplifting, though I suspect it pleases you to think they are; it makes your aggressively nonviolent stance that much more satisfactory for you. I do, however, think it's perfectly okay to smack someone around for taking shit that doesn't belong to them. It's how we teach them not to do it again. If you disagree feel free to hang out with Mr. Mudede next time he watched his neighbors get ripped off, and you can feel pleased with your moral absolutism together.
Posted by NateMan on November 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM · Report this
I feel bad for everyone involved. Cheap-ass Wallmart probably didn't spend much money on training security guards, who probably didn't follow recommended procedure. OK, maybe the security guard just lost his cool, or maybe the thief had a weak heart (or some other medical condition) but knowing how cheap Walmart is, I can't help but wonder if the company cut corners and this is the result. A dead shoplifter and at couple guys (I assume they were guys) who have to live with this horror the rest of their lives. I'm sure Walmart will pay for counseling, right? Right?
Posted by Ross on November 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM · Report this
emor 14
@8

I work at a retail operation that employs third-party security guards. I hate shoplifters, really, those people are pig fuckers and I love it when they get busted.

However, I hate it when they resist apprehension, because that's when they get body slammed and have their face ground in the dirt. I really hate that. You know why? Because it looks fucking terrible. It makes our store look bad. Families shop at my store. No intelligent proprietor wants a violent, bloody takedown in front of their customers.

Seriously, what the fuck? It's awful. That doesn't teach that tweaker anything -- he's tweaking and doesn't give a shit about anything! I would guess the $700+ restitution payments are a much sharper lesson.
Posted by emor on November 26, 2012 at 9:05 PM · Report this
Purocuyu 15
What I'd rather like to know, the DVD players he stole, when Walmart resells them will they be cheaper because of this, or more expensive?
Posted by Purocuyu http://littlevictorygarden.tumblr.com on November 27, 2012 at 3:06 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 16
Hmm, expected to only see the trolls cheering that a guy was strangled to death for shoplifting. What other minor crimes do you guys think should be punishable by violent, public death?

The Christmas spirit indeed.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 27, 2012 at 6:02 AM · Report this