Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, November 26, 2012

Tom Ricks Demonstrates How to Be a Guest on Fox News

Posted by on Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Tom Ricks proves that the truth doesn't live long—only about a minute or so—on Fox:

Dylan Byers says that Ricks told Fox News that he thought they were hyping the story in his pre-interview, but I guess they didn't think he'd actually say it on the air:

After he went off the air, Ricks said he “saw some surprised faces in the hallway.”

“One staff person said she thought I had been rude. My feeling was that they asked my opinion and I gave it,” Ricks wrote.

sperifera 1
That was SO delicious that I think I will have it for lunch.
Posted by sperifera on November 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Knat 2
To the host's credit, he didn't immediately start hurling accusations or start getting dismissive, as nearly everyone else on Fox does. He just immediately ended the interview, clearly much more quickly than he intended to. Still cowardly, but then it is still Fox.
Posted by Knat on November 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Don't be too loving of Ricks. He's one of Petraeus' caddies, and has refused to admit what a massive mistake it was to make that guy into a cult figure. Ricks is a buffoon, in the classic Beltway status.
Posted by har on November 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
I like this. Susan Rice is being railroaded. The Republicans, in a desperate attempt to salvage a flagging campaign, tried to make a terrorist attack against this country a way to score political points. It failed miserably. They should be ashamed. The American people aren't buying it. Susan Rice is a well qualified leader and will make a great Secretary of State.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 5
@2: Immediately ending the interview is what any anchor worth his salt would have done on any network on any topic. You don't want to get in the position of a guest going off topic insulting your network - that's SOP.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on November 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 6
jesus, fox, the job of UN ambassador is to lie every time you open your mouth. it's called DIPLOMACY. you & mccain & graham are pointing at it like it's a new type of illegal drug.
Posted by Max Solomon on November 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
biffp 7
A ray of truth hits bullshit mountain.
Posted by biffp on November 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 8
Can anyone say "Streisand effect"?
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
@5 "You don't want to get in the position of a guest going off topic insulting your network"

While I think that what Ricks was saying was completely true, and is something Fox Viewers should hear, there is some justice to the anonymous staffer's claim that Ricks was being rude.

Tactically, I think it may have been better if Ricks had held off connecting the Fox News hype dot until later in the interview when he had more rapport and credibility with their audience.
Posted by Appraently 11:44 Is What Wallingford Broken Clocks Display on November 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
@1, I would like to join you in having this for lunch. Much more appetizing than the shit sandwich Phoebe @5 is trying to choke down.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
So, Phoebe, rather than attempting to answer or refute Ricks' accusations, you feel the right approach is to shut down the offending voice and pretend like the whole thing never happened.

How very republican of you.
Posted by dak7e on November 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
GlennFleishman 12
Ricks did the right thing. He challenged the host with a question that, if the host were actually informed on the issue and not hyping it, he should have had an answer or a response. That was...fantastic.
Posted by GlennFleishman http://blog.glennf.com/ on November 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
The Fox interviewer wasn't charged with answering or refuting accusations that he didn't expect. I can imagine someone who was supposed to prep Ricks was fired. Fox is indeed part of the Republican party, not CSPAN2.
Posted by sarah70 on November 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
secretagent 14
"Because nobody cares."

My favorite part. Way to point out the callousness of waving around human deaths to accomplish a political aim.
Posted by secretagent on November 26, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
He wasn't rude. He was being brutally honest. Love him! I guess he won't be back on Faux Noise, which I am sure is fine with him.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on November 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM · Report this
Nelson Bradley 16
A Truman Show moment
Posted by Nelson Bradley on November 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 17
Hahaha. I will assume that Tom Ricks never gets another invite to Faux News again.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Phoebe, I half agree with you, but in this instance Ricks wasn't off topic. I do agree that ending the interview was reasonable though.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM · Report this
The talking heads guarding the inhabitants of Bullsh*t Mountain from rejoining the world of the sane just won't budge an inch will they? Fox News is a propaganda machine which dumbs down America by the day through disinformation and their slanted agendas. See their anchors spewing forth feces from their mouths in my visual homage to the network on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/…
Posted by dregstudios on November 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this