Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Civilest of Uncivil Lunches

Posted by on Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Here, via NBC, is the White House report on President Obama and Mitt Romney's no-media lunch:

This afternoon, President Obama and Governor Romney visited for an hour over lunch in the Private Dining Room adjacent to the Oval Office. Governor Romney congratulated the President for the success of his campaign and wished him well over the coming four years. The focus of their discussion was on America's leadership in the world and the importance of maintaining that leadership position in the future. They pledged to stay in touch, particularly if opportunities to work together on shared interests arise in the future. Their lunch menu included white turkey chili and Southwestern grilled chicken salad.

I have two thoughts about this:

1. As Boston.com notes, Mitt Romney kicked off his 2012 campaign by serving big bowls of Ann Romney's turkey chili to fans in New Hampshire. There is no way that today's menu was a coincidence.

2. "Let's stay in touch, particularly if opportunities to work together on shared interests arise in the future" is the new "fuck you, you fucking fuck."

Meanwhile, Joe Biden took the most-documented trip to Costco in the history of the world this morning.

I thought "please proceed, Governor" was the new "fuck you, you fucking fuck." He probably managed to work that one in too.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on November 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 2
Are you sure the turkey in Romney's bowl of chili wasn't actually crow?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 3
@1 - The important thing is that with all the new ways of saying "fuck you, you fucking fuck" why would anyone ever again say "fuck you, you fucking fuck", except for the old-timey feeling one gets from saying things like "new-fangled" or "old-timey" or "the party of Lincoln."
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 4
47 percent of your fellow citizens are fucking idiots, or morons, or criminally insane, so this was just good politics on Obama's part to play nice. Not that this will matter.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on November 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
My favorite thing comes from the photo. According to the article (and the photo itself):

"nothing – except a black binder – is visible on Obama’s large wooden desk."

Subtle?
Posted by j.lee on November 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM · Report this
Romney: "So, how's the drone war going?"

Obama: "It's going great! Just yesterday I slaughtered a dozen doctors and rescue workers in a double-tap strike in Pakistan."

Romney: "How wonderful! Keep up the good work!"
Posted by monorail on November 29, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
White bean turkey chili and grilled chicken salad. I assume there was also Wonder bread with margarine, and jello mold for dessert?
Posted by crone on November 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
It wasn't so civil. Rmoney's SUV was attacked at the gate.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 9
Man alive do I love me some Biden!
Posted by knobtheunicorn on November 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 10
OK. This is done. Can we now stop talking about Romney and the 2012 election forever and ever? Or at least for a few months? Please please please.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on November 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
very bad homo 11
Never to meet again...
Posted by very bad homo on November 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
care bear 12
I could have been at that Costco today. I'm so disappointed I missed Joe Biden. And I still really need yogurt.
Posted by care bear on November 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
I mostly hope the white turkey chili was laced with grain alcohol and caffeine. Fuck him and his stupid religion.
Posted by Chicago Fan on November 29, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Wonder if they served green jello?
Posted by StuckInUtah on November 29, 2012 at 5:34 PM · Report this
Green jello is very good, especially with mayonnaise, cream cheese, a cocktail cherry, and crushed walnuts on top.
Posted by sarah70 on November 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this
And friend and I were at the new Costco this morning. It was scheduled to open at 8am, but the mayor of DC had to be somewhere else so they cut the ribbon and let us in at 7:45 instead. It was a very cold morning, so it was quite nice that Costco had hot coffee and giant space heaters out for the 100 or so of us silly enough to show up so early.

Wandering around the store I saw Jim Sinegal and a bunch of local business leaders. My original plan was to dash in, grab something and head out. Then I saw the huge booze section. DC law doesn't allow liquor sales until 9am (I guess to make sure members of Congress at least show up to the office), so we grazed on the massive food sample (they were 3-4 times larger than the usual giveaways -- I didn't eat again until dinner) until we could pile the cart with large economy size bottles of vodka and tequila. A 1.75 liter bottle of Kirkland-brand vodka was $13.99. Sweet holy Jesus on a pogo stick, I can afford to be a drunk at these prices.

As we were pulling out of the lot, a parade of motorcycle cops, black limos and vans pulled into the parking lot. At first we thought it was the First Lady and were going to turn around and go back. Then we saw it was Biden and went home to have an early cocktail.
Posted by Smartypants on November 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
I hope Key & Peele do a sketch on this. I'd love to hear what Obama really told Romney behind closed doors.
Posted by apres_moi on November 29, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
venomlash 18
@13: Suppose you sat down to eat with a Jew or Muslim who you didn't particularly like, and spiked his food with bacon grease. Dick move, bad attitude. There is no justification for attacking Romney based on his religion being weird WHEN YOU COULD ATTACK HIM FOR BEING A GENERALLY AWFUL AND CLUELESS HUMAN BEING.
Posted by venomlash on November 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM · Report this
watchout5 19
I had what I thought was a fling tell me that in so many words, "Let's stay in touch, particularly if opportunities to work together on shared interests arise in the future". Come to think of it I'm not sure it was a fling, but I took the message to mean the same thing. I got it over text message too. Buuuuuurn.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on November 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM · Report this
"I have two thoughts about this:"

And if your two thoughts are true, that would make the President very childish and petty, so my guess is no.
Posted by Jim14007 on November 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this