Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ice Sculptures Are Things of Beauty

Posted by on Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Last week I linked to local artist Jeremy Mangan's paintings, which I know plenty of folks dig, as do I. But did you know that once upon a time in New York, he made a living as an ice sculptor?

Please set your eyes upon it.

I have only two notes:

1. All due respect to the speaker, but it's not always true that two-dimensional skills transfer to 3D. Michelangelo was an awkward painter. Mangan is a double threat.

2. If you are not already aware, I would like to draw your attention to this entire series of reusable ice sculpture molds that cost $19.95 and turn your parties into parties with ice sculptures, which is plainly another noun entirely. (I own the swan, covet the dolphin, and fear the clown.)

Thanks for the tip, Jennie!

Pick1 1
Are the words "this entire series" supposed to be a link? Because I sure as Hell want to click the shit out of those words.
Posted by Pick1 on December 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM · Report this
What does it say about me that the first thing I thought was "Where are their safety glasses??!!"
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on December 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
An ice shard in the eye may melt, but not before it does some wicked damage, as @2 pointed out.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 4
I love those ice molds!!!! I am going to have to run right out and get another freezer, because I am going to make a bunch of them to have on hand for impromptu parties.

I once dropped an ice sculpture off the atrium of the Minneapolis Marriott. It fell six stories and smashed into a million pieces on the floor of the City Center mall. Thankfully, the mall wasn't open that early in the morning, or I'd surely have killed someone.

They never let me handle the ice sculptures after that.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on December 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 5
@4 - Don't worry, sweetie. You'll get to kill someone and get away with it someday.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this