Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Economic Impact of SSM

Posted by on Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

So, one of the side arguments (apart from, you know, basic rights and justice) for Same Sex Marriage is the economic impact it can have. And since the political is the personal, here's my personal economic impact statement from Dan and Terry's recent Big Gay Wedding:

My sweetheart and I came to Seattle via Portland. Below, I list just the money she and I spent in Seattle, on a weekend we otherwise would not have been in Seattle at all.

Transportation: $30.00 for 2 cab rides, $29.40 for parking, $8.00 on Sound Transit, for a total of $67.40.
Lodging at a very nice B and B on Capitol Hill: $348.21.
Food: $197.34 at Bastille in Fremont, $133.88 at Smith, for a total of $331.22.
Food at the airport: $64, including nice stuff from Dish Delish to bring on the plane.
Booze: $37.95 at Hopvine, $9.00 at the Comet (happy hour rocks), $30.00 at the party at Q for a total of $76.95.
Christmas shopping: $209.45 at the Ebbets Field Flannels outlet store in Pioneer Square.
Miscellaneous: $29.20 at Walgreen's on 15th, $7.00 for newspapers, $12.00 for coffee.

Grand total direct economic impact on Seattle: $1,147.43.

Imagine if the brother had had more time to plan a really big gay wedding! And, hey, everyone be sure to get cupcakes from Cupcake Royale, who donated all of those cupcakes for the City Hall ceremonies and the party at Q!

Will in Seattle 1
Thank you for your tax contributions to Seattle, King County, and Washington State.

Unfortunately, some of that went to support the tax-subsidized wastrels in the East side of the state ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
TVDinner 2
Here are some more data that demonstrate some of the economic benefits of being a homo-loving city. Thanks, gays! You're good for the economy.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on December 12, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Rats. Missed opportunity. I went to the party at Q and had a great time. Would've liked to introduce myself and say "hi". Glad you and your lady were able to be here for Dan and Terry's wedding. Seattle outdid itself on Sunday. It was an amazing day.
Posted by SeattleKim on December 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 4
Attending a gay wedding: $1,147.43

Freedom to marry: Priceless
Posted by Sir Vic on December 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
despicable me 5
What about airfare?
Posted by despicable me on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
@4 for the win!
@3 sorry to have missed you!
@1 as a socialist at heart, happy to subsidize even republican shitheads.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
@5: Maybe marginally relevant, if they flew Alaska Air.
Posted by bigyaz on December 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
@5 Flew Southwest, so didn't count airfare. Or Amtrak either.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
pg13 9
"Imagine if the brother had had more time to plan a really big gay wedding!"

Personally, I think he was forced to have had much MORE time than he should have had to have had... :(

While watching the news coverage (wonderful as it was), I made the comment to my wife that I was surprised that there was such a rush to do it quickly, cheaply and in a large groups. Why the rush? Why not take your time and actually live the dream...and do the big, fabulous gay wedding?

...and then my wife reminded me that there's the lingering spectre present that this long overdue opportunity could all be taken away from them somehow...

And that made me understand. (And sad.) (And angry.)
Posted by pg13 on December 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
katrat 10
@9 it could be that many of those folks have already had their commitment ceremony/huge bashes. I know of two couples who married on Sunday, and both had already had their "wedding receptions" a while ago, after marrying either somewhere else or while this law was pending enactment
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on December 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Of course my nephew and his husband (married in Massachusetts, superlavish ceremony at a rented estate, destination overseas reception afterward) chose Sunday to let the family know they've separated and the divorce is all but final. Hmph. My people are nothing if not contrarians.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
@11 Talk to Goldy about it.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Imagine how much economic activity the shooter in Portland generated.....

EMTs....cops....ER staff....investigators....reporters....coroner....funeral director....

now just imagine if the loser had managed to off 30 or 40 people.

Damn.

Economic Boom!
Posted by People spent $$$$. It must be a Good Thing.... on December 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
@12 no kidding.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this

More Money Spent!!

divorce lawyers....legal aids....law clerks....

Damn!

Homosexual Divorce is an Economic Engine!!!

go do your duty, faggots.
Posted by you are all so full of shit on December 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 16
@6 is correct that @4 knocked it out of the park.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on December 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
If Seattle had a college football bowl like real cities do it would generate more economic activity than a decade of homosexual "marriages"....
Posted by keep your fucking peanut$, asshole on December 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 18
I'll have you know Bastille is in Ballard, sir!
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on December 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Hey C Fan; don't forget the $15 you gave the 14 year old runaway boy at the bus station to blow you....
Posted by even though you said you'd give him $20.... on December 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
billrm 20
Only $12 on coffee? I will never understand these foreigners.
Posted by billrm on December 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
billrm 21
And yes, @16 is correct about @6 being correct that @4 knocked it out of the park.
Posted by billrm on December 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Sorry no time to plan a Big Wedding, Bro....

Danny's baby bump was starting to show.
Posted by and Terry has had a vasectomy? oh my... on December 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 23
@9, My fiance and I are waiting till next summer for our wedding, so that all the widespread family can come. Were it not for that consideration, we would have been lined up to do it on Sunday. We've been waiting for over 25 years, and that is a long, long, long time to wait.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on December 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
@20 I'm only counting the cash I and my sweetie spent. Lots of free coffee at the B and B, and the brother got me several coffees while we were silently writing side by side. Sorry that Bastille is in Ballard, but it's all the same to this auslander.
Posted by Chicago Fan on December 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM · Report this