Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Murray Holds Swank Mansion Fundraiser

Posted by on Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ed Murray, the Democratic state senator who filed an exploratory committee last week to run for mayor, didn't seem particularly exploratory about his campaign last night, when he packed nearly 200 people in to a north Capitol Hill mansion to raise money. A youthful door crew shook down everyone who crossed the threshold asking for up to $700, the maximum donation allowed, and ended the night with a thick parcel of donation envelopes.

Murray faces a Friday deadline for fundraising, at which point he goes into a freeze over the long legislative session, and he can't begin again until the session concludes in spring—or worse if it drags on, in summer. The pad belongs to Equal Rights Washington director Rod Hearne and consultant Roger Nyhus, who did expensive consulting work on the campaign to pass gay marriage this year. Their place was decked with neatly dressed homosexuals, a cast of Seattle's political scene, a forest of poinsettias, and a massive fuzzy dog/bear named Archimedes.

I kicked in some money but didn't go - that house has spooked me since I was a boy.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
pfffter 2
I went. I felt so out of place (ie, not a fancy dresser), but I did get to meet Ed Murray and tell him I was excited to campaign for him and thank him for all his work on r74. That was pretty sweet. :)
Posted by pfffter on December 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM · Report this
south downtown 3
Roger Nyhus may some how be getting 'gay' points with this rag, but he's also on the side of the coal train (http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitic…).

If he's on Murray's team, I am not.
Posted by south downtown on December 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM · Report this
@3, you can't vote for Murray because of who Equal Rights Washington's director shacks up with? If you need a candidate whose backers are gray-area-free one and all, best of luck. Let us know who you come up with.
Posted by gloomy gus on December 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Wasn't Archimedes featured in your dog/puppy picture competition? I Love that dog!!!
Posted by suburban queen on December 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
The 43rd Dems held their Christmas Party there on Wednesday night.

Wait, make that their "swank" Christmas Party.
Posted by J.R. on December 13, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this