Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Vanity License Plate of the Day

Posted by on Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM

highplatesm.JPG

"I took back my maiden name when I got divorced a few years ago," writes Stranger reader Julie High, "and I got these plates to celebrate. The man at the DMV said he'd submit the application, but I should never expect to see the plates approved in Olympia. Needless to say, I was surprised! Now I just get lots and lots of people tailgating me to take a picture, haha. I'm also very popular when I pick up my kids from school—oops, parenting fail."

saxfanatic 1
High on life! Yeah, sure. Why not?
Posted by saxfanatic on December 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 2

Scene at DOL...

So, Ms. Hornie, what was it you wanted to put on your license again?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on December 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 3
I hope she enjoys getting pulled over by cops.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on December 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
seandr 4
That may as well be my last name, too.
Posted by seandr on December 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
How hilarious to have that on a car's license plate. Now let's read this: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2…
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on December 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Makes you wonder if "I'm drunk" has already been taken.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on December 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
ScandalMgr 7
Read about a vegetarian who wanted a vanity plate reading "I LOVE TOFU"

which was truncated to read: "ILOVETOFU"

And you, you have a dirty mind.
Posted by ScandalMgr on December 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
@7, no, it would have to be "LUVTOFU" or something. "ILOVETOFU" has too many places.
Posted by Drusilla on December 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
Have to tell you, if I were signing off on vanity plates, I would have a real issue signing off on one that says, "IM HIGH." That's going to cause quite a stir on the freeway, isn't it? Also, isn't she going to get pulled over by every highway patrolman who sees it? Or at least be under uncomfortable scrutiny while on the road? It's like "I JUST SHOT UP."
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 10
Another proud SU alumna! How high can a Redhawk fly?
Posted by Cracker Jack on December 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Well the picture of the mountain on the plate invites people to assume that she is a climber.

But yes, High is her gosh darn name and she should display it if she likes, even if it's also good for a laugh.
Posted by DRF on December 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
I've had the license plate for years and never been pulled over. I'm not actually driving "high," you know! It's funny: it makes me laugh, it makes other people laugh. Happy, happy.

And it is my name...I've heard a lifetime of bad "Are you high, High?" jokes - don't I get to play with it, too? Why yes, I do. :)
Posted by bornhigh on December 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 13
@12: Agreed, but you will admit that everyone doesn't have your sense of humor. Just seems like you're asking for unnecessary misery and there will be people around you on the highways who will wonder if you are actually high. But, yes, if you can live with it, so can I.
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
@13, the world would be one twisted place if we all had my sense of humor. Heck, even a couple of my own relatives fail to see the humor in the plates. It's all good! :) It's an easy way to make a lot of people smile. And to make some stay the heck out of my way on the road, haha.
Posted by bornhigh on December 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 15
If the plate was coupled with a Deadhead or Phish sticker, then you'd really be asking for it. I think a D.A.R.E. sticker would be the perfect match.
Posted by Sir Vic on December 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Unregistered User 16
The only way this would be better is if that were an Evergreen license plate frame instead of Seattle U.
Posted by Unregistered User on December 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM · Report this
DAVIDinKENAI 17
The plate that surprised me the most by making it through the DMV was one I saw on a new, red motorcycle in San Francisco. "7 uncut".

Okay, I can imagine a State employee not getting it and it took me a moment, aided by the city, the leathers, and his gender.
Posted by DAVIDinKENAI on December 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
runswithnailclippers 18
sure, Washington state approved the plate, but will the feds come in and take the plate away????
Posted by runswithnailclippers on December 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM · Report this