Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Deep Prep Will Make You a Better Cook

Posted by on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Jesse Smith, a chef at Pinky's Kitchen in Wallingford, makes a real mean meal, and for several months now he's been sharing his kitchen secrets on his YouTube show Deep Prep. Smith shows you how to make some awesome food—including potatoes au gratin, paella, and Mexican ice cream—in quick five-minutes-or-less tutorials. And if you don't know what you're doing in the kitchen, that's okay! He'll show you, while encouraging you to get messy and goofy (I hate it when cooking shows pretend like you never spill anything—liars!).

Here's the latest video (starring the one food I miss the most since becoming a vegetarian), chicken fried steak:

Watch more here!

The editing is driving me crazy!
Posted by Conrad McMasters on January 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
A bit too cute, but could be useful. Cornflakes on chicken fried steak?
Posted by crone on January 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Cornflakes as breading sounds bad.

They're trying too hard to make it funny.

Gravy sounds very good.

Posted by ryanmm on January 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Cornflakes and/or crushed potato chips make an awesomely tasty breading! My mom used to make potato chip chicken all the time when I was a kid.
Posted by Smartypants on January 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
"Chicken fried?"

Can anything be "chicken fried?"

Wikipedia says chicken fried steak probably got its name because it was prepared in a similar fashion to fried chicken. Except you can also make "chicken fried chicken" which is different than "fried chicken" (no bones in the former).

Can you make chicken fried hamburgers? Chicken fried shrimp? Chicken fried trout? How about chicken fried stir fry?

Another interesting side note is that chicken fried steak is really just weinerschnitzel, and was called that until WWII, when all German sounding foods got new names (e.g., 'frankfurters' became 'hot dogs'). Although I guess 'chicken fried chicken' is better than 'freedom chicken.'
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM · Report this
@5
"Can you make chicken fried hamburgers?"

Deep fried hamburgers.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on January 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 7
Thanks Megan. I love cooking hints. Here's one: Use Panko, the Japanese Bread crumbs. And for really crispy chicken make a thick slurry of flour, corn starch and cold water, and a bit of baking power. Spice it up anyway you like.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM · Report this
I watched the potatoes recipe and wasn't impressed when he wiped his face and nose with his hand before cutting stuff up.
Posted by sarah70 on January 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
disintegrator 9
@8: Welcome to the reality of food prep...
Posted by disintegrator on January 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
rob! 10
@5, did hamburgers get a new name...?

@8, 9: for a while in college I was a kitchen runner in one of the better Nevada casinos. The head chef's kid, 12 or so, used to stick his hand down his pants to scratch his [free] balls while working beside his dad to learn the trade. In the walk-in coolers were great tubs of little pink shrimp (for shrimp cocktails) and sliced strawberries; we'd reach in and grab a handful whenever we wanted.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 11
A fried egg on top of a chicken-fried steak is not the slightest bit traditional, though I've seen this at other restaurants that basically serve diner food, yet have a "chef."

Basically, he's saying: "Ha ha! Look! I made it even more over-the-top unhealthy!" But in reality he's fouling up a traditional dish and isn't even being original about it.

I bet people are ruining cheese-steak sandwiches by putting fried eggs on them, too. Oh, look: I'm right.
Posted by Free Lunch on January 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM · Report this
When I lived in Texas, I thought chicken fried steak was a meal with an identity problem.
But more to the point. I know where you can get some stents to reopen your blocked coronary arteries.
Posted by Juan Alfredo on January 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 13
@6,10,
But it's gotta be breaded to be 'chicken fried' right? A breaded, deep-fried, hamburger does sound terrifyingly delicious, but I've yet to experience it.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 9, 2013 at 10:26 PM · Report this
Sandiai 14
That sausage gravy looked deadly good.

I like how he lets his little daughter handle a knife. I think it was in the tortilla video.

I don't know if it was the time and place of my childhood, or if male parents are different than female parents (as I was mostly raised by my father), but when we were little, our dad would instruct us in the safe use of dangerous objects and would expect us to listen. After a few lessons in the use of, say: knives, or the stove, or power tools- later it was motorboats, cars and hunting rifles*- we were expected to use them safely. I can understand the instinct to shelter our children from everything dangerous, but they don't learn anything that way. And then they come to underestimate dangers that they are not very familiar with. I mean, I'm not nostalgic for those times, because, among other things, cigarettes were everywhere and seat belts were ridiculed. (Also, I had to wear gloves AND A HAT to church). But, I learned how not to get hurt by dangerous objects by practicing with them, not avoiding them.

Sorry. I really liked his videos. Thanks for sharing.

* No one had handguns yet, except cops.
Posted by Sandiai on January 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM · Report this
Sandiai 15
@10. oh my god, rob! HaHaHahaha! And, ewww.
Posted by Sandiai on January 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM · Report this
@11 - yeah, I hate it when people fuck up 'traditional' food. Which is why I don't eat any Italian, Szechuan, Cantonese, Japanese, Nepali, Punjabi, Pakistani, Moroccan, or English food unless I'm in Italy, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Morocco, or England. I mean, for Christ's sake, some Italian restaurants serve bolognese with pasta! Imagine the look on my face when someone served me bolognese with pasta underneath it! Sacrilege on a traditional dish.
Posted by johnjjeeves on January 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM · Report this