Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

"We all face the same joys and challenges of life."

Posted by on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM

A beautiful interview with Rev. Gary Hall, dean of the Washington National Cathedral, on his decision to begin hosting same-sex weddings in the famous and iconic church. Required listening:

My grandparents were married there, and two of my aunts. I would have been married there if I hadn't changed coasts. The idea that my sister can now get married there just made me burst into tears.
Posted by smoakes on January 10, 2013 at 1:45 AM · Report this
smajor82 2
I really appreciated his comments on lessons in gender equality.
Posted by smajor82 on January 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM · Report this
But this is a clear violation of religious freedom, because the Bible says that marriage is one man and one woman! Or something like that.
Posted by Clayton on January 10, 2013 at 8:15 AM · Report this
nocutename 4
This is my favorite part:
“As much as we’ve tried to revise our marriage service to make everything equal and mutual, it still has with it some connotations and vestiges of pre-modern ways of understanding male-female relationships. I think one of the ways in which gay and lesbian couples really can teach something to straight couples is the way in which they hold up the possibility of an absolute equality and mutuality in marriage”
Posted by nocutename on January 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM · Report this
I believe LGBTQQUCIT2SAPHO is the more inclusive and accepted label. Please update and make sure we include *everyone* who wants to be included. Thanks in advance.
Posted by Hank80 on January 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM · Report this
This is so important right now, at a time when the Supreme Court is contemplating the DOMA and Prop 8 cases. Of course, it might have been more help if at least one of the Justices was Protestant, but oh well, still.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on January 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 7
It's a delight and extremely gratifying to hear him talk about the fact that heterosexual people could learn a thing or two about a more egalitarian - dare I say a more perfect - union from same-sex couples.

Mind you, I think a lot of fundies' heads would explode if they heard it. Hmmmm. ::wanders off to grab a megaphone::
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on January 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM · Report this