Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Slog Bible Study: Exodus 35:2

Posted by on Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Exodus 35:2
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of sabbath rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.

Discuss

Slogging on a Sunday, Goldy? Somebody's looking to get stoned.
Posted by The Engineer on January 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 2
He does this every Sunday. I can't believe god hasn't killed you yet, Goldy. I think this counts as 'work'.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM · Report this
@1
Would you care to clarify what you mean when you say Goldy is looking to get stoned?
Posted by Clayton on January 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM · Report this
Someone once said that that the 7th day was the greatest of God's gifts cause it forced us to build in the concept of rest. As in why would God need to rest? Well, a god doesn't really need to, so there must be a reason to force the concept. I thought the premise as interesting, being an atheist myself.
Posted by Jaime Adams on January 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM · Report this
@2
If Goldy is Jewish, the day he needs to watch out for is Saturday.

Posted by Clayton on January 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM · Report this
samktg 6
@5, Friday after sundown is a sticky wicket as well.
Posted by samktg on January 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM · Report this
Early efforts for labor law reform
Posted by catballou on January 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
The Lord was never pro-life.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM · Report this
And here I thought that for this Sunday afternoon shift I could go without my bullitproof-vest for a change...
I'll still take my chances I guess.
Posted by dutchie on January 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM · Report this
Well, too much work will probably lessen your life expectancy, so cutting it by almost 15% must help. the book says the punishment is death, it just doesn't say how long it will take to inflict it.
Posted by aml on January 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM · Report this
As today's Bible is an amalgam of translations of ancient texts, I'd love to see a modern translation of this particular passage; maybe "God said 'Would it kill you to take a day off once a week and show Me some love and appreciation? Cause if you don't, I will kill you.'"
Posted by The Engineer on January 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM · Report this
Posted by michaelp on January 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM · Report this
McBomber 13
"Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death"? Clunky. Since this poor sentence structure challenges my firmly held grammatical beliefs, I choose to disregard this rule. Next.
Posted by McBomber on January 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM · Report this
Had some kick ass unions back then, eh?
Posted by PaulBarwick on January 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 15
@5 good point. I'd look through yesterday's posts to see if Goldy wrote anything but that might constitute work. And then god would kill me. I'm not quite ready yet.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on January 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 16
@12
Irrational wishful thinking, but before some perverted youth pastor shitlife, I wish John Goodman would cease to be part of my mind.
Posted by dnt trust me on January 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 17
What about John Roberts? He just did some work and gave the oath of office to Obama a few minutes ago.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on January 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM · Report this
@11 best translation! After all, what would the Old Testament be without a little Jewish guilt?
Posted by pat L on January 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM · Report this
NotSean 19
To me, it seems to touch on that feeling you get when, you've busted your ass all day or all week, while most no one was there to help or even witness; you finally take a moment to sit down and watch a little tv, and that's when your mother/spouse/roommie decides it's time to start running the vacuum, while giving you the stink-eye for 'just sitting there'.

Why, there oughta be a law against that.
Posted by NotSean on January 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM · Report this
What if your work week doesn't start until Thursday? Or Sunday, or....so many what if's. Oh, and if you work 2 jobs, are the days counted together or is it six days consecutive at one job? I'm getting a headache.
Posted by nador on January 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
fletc3her 21
Starbucks will have to go Cloud Atlas on its workforce to keep us caffeinated on the day of the Sun.
Posted by fletc3her on January 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 22
Christianity is moronic at best and repulsive at worst.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM · Report this
I AGREE.
Posted by Adrian Ryan on January 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM · Report this
@22, it is, indeed, but this is from the Jewish bible, way before Christianity. Since Jews have more sense than Christians, they interpreted this silly commandment away and nobody ever died.

Posted by sarah70 on January 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Just to confuse the boundaries between Christian and Jewish Sabbaths, my Quaker friends call Sunday, "Firstday," yet that's the day they gather for weekly worship.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on January 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Sandiai 26
Calendars call Sunday the first day of the week as well, I guess making Saturday the Sabbath.
Posted by Sandiai on January 20, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
As long as policing and enforcing this rule counts as "work," it seems violators of this particular law are protected by a nice Catch-22.
Posted by Proteus on January 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM · Report this
SEANIEPANTS 28
This is why Confucians are winning. One extra day of work!
Posted by SEANIEPANTS on January 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
long-time reader 29
@27, nuh-uh, I'm just gonna put you to death tomorrow.
Posted by long-time reader on January 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM · Report this
@27, God doesn't have to follow his own law. He's the parent.
Posted by sarah70 on January 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 31
The universe was actually created on a Tuesday. I learned that from Animaniacs.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 22, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this