Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, January 21, 2013

Our Ability to Rank Things Is What Separates Us From the Apes

Posted by on Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

ArtPlace is a collaborative group of foundations, government art agencies (including the National Endowment for the Arts), and banks. It gives grants and ranks things. Its latest ranking: the top 12 ArtPlaces in the country's leading cities, including Seattle's Pike/Pine corridor, which will be feted by ArtPlace and Mayor McGinn at Velocity Dance this coming Friday morning at a press event.

What makes a regular place an ArtPlace with two capital letterses?

Four indicators measure ingredients of vibrancy: the number of retail and service businesses; the percentage of independent businesses; the neighborhood’s Walk Score; and the percentage of workers in creative occupations living in the neighborhood. Two arts-related indicators were also used: the number of arts-related non-profits and the number of arts-related businesses. Finally, neighborhood scores were normalized for family income so that neighborhoods with the highest concentration of income did not skew the results.

Meanwhile, here's what Seattle artist/writer/communityman Xavier Lopez Jr. had to say about the new Capitol Hill in The Stranger's regrets issue.

I regret the way that Capitol Hill continues to be whittled away bit by bit... In the last year, I have watched my favorite places go away and cease to exist. From the Faire Gallery cafe, the Living Room bar, the impending move of Bauhaus—it just seems as if my home is intent on becoming something quite different than the amazing petri dish for creativity, the odd and the amazing, and is losing the grunge that has made it such a wonderful place to be. And, while I know that change is inevitable, I hope if this continues, that moves are made to ensure that Seattle protects the venues of weirdness and creativity that are attempting to endure against all odds. I hope no one ever decides to do away with the Mercury or Neighbours and the tons of little theaters, working spaces, bars, and restaurants that bring life and joy to the area. So I guess while 2012 saw the closure of some of my favorite places on "the hill," at least after this I won't have to regret never having said anything about it.

He might consider attending Friday's event and asking a few questions.

Agent Michael Scarn 1
Can you name me eight movies where monkeys played a key role?
Posted by Agent Michael Scarn http://twitter.com/Jukebox_Hobo on January 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 2
If you want to launch a neighborhood into ArtSpace, you apparently need to fuel your rocket with alcohol. I often see the "ingredients of vibrancy" spewed all over the sidewalk when going to work in the morning. I like a drink myself and know many creative people who work in bars and restaurants but this sounds like the work of a bunch of grant-grifters. It's about as meaningful as the Clio awards or a ranking from JD Powers.
Posted by thatsnotright on January 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM · Report this
seriously, "the arts" is the most self-interested group of people out there. Jesus. Even Wall Street TraderRaiders don't spend as much time justifying their own existence.
Posted by fetish on January 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM · Report this
Keep god out of intellectual conversations. We need to base our next moves on experiment,observation, and innovation, not that which contradicts with them.
cv writers online | homework service online | do my home work uk | speech generator online
Posted by Ryley on January 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM · Report this
The code to modify the software application to bring the gospel to the site design. Each week have new goods shelves must have got to you. Hope you could write more about that.
Prepare Speech||Coursework Writer||Personal Statement Advice

Posted by jackpeter on January 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM · Report this
Xavier Lopez Jr. 6
He might have had he not just read this for the first time today! ;)
Posted by Xavier Lopez Jr. on April 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM · Report this