Slog

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Comment of the Day Is by Josh Bis

Posted by on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM

He commented:

Strangely, I find taxidermy far less depressing than zoos.

Discuss.

ingopixel 1
Gorillas are like sad old people in a box who eat their own vomit repeatedly out of boredom. I can't even look at them.
Posted by ingopixel on January 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
translation : "I am less likely to anthropomorphize a dead, stuffed bear carcass than a living, breathing komodo dragon."
Posted by Proteus on January 29, 2013 at 4:43 PM · Report this
Alternate translation: "I find corpse mutilation less distasteful than torture of a living being."
Posted by YoungBS on January 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM · Report this
I haven't taken my children to the zoo for 20 years--and it was totally a sad primate that broke it for me. I don't mind financially supporting the efforts of zoos, I guess, but I don't want to go.

And all taxidermy should involve tiny costumes and accessories.
Posted by wendy2 on January 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Assuming a natural, or otherwise unavoidable demise, I would much rather end up a taxidermist's relic than be displayed in a zoo for any length of time.

I even think I'd prefer it to most bodily remain handling techniques if I wasn't pretty sure I'd end up damaged in a yard sale within a decade.
Posted by Never Saw A Purple Cow on January 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Yes, exactly. Providing a komodo dragon with plentiful food and a warm rock to sleep on is exactly like applying jumper cables to a human being's nipples.
Posted by Proteus on January 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM · Report this
@3.
Posted by Proteus on January 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
That is the comment not of the day but of the five days ago.
Posted by gloomy gus on January 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM · Report this
And this is why we adore Mr. Bis. His commentary is always entertaining.
Posted by lilHoss on January 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 10
I guess inserting some qualifications ("on average" ... "some" ... "most") could have been useful for accuracy, but it seems like you basically got the point.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 11
@6 hmm, do you have experimental data to show this?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM · Report this
The Max 12
I love well-funded, well-staffed open habitat zoos. I can't speak to yours, but we've got a really happy one here in Columbia, SC. Even the African elephants, just about the most difficult species among our animal friends to keep happy in a cultivated garden, seem reasonably content.
Posted by The Max on January 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 13
Totally depends on the zoo. If they take good care of the animals and give them plenty of space and privacy, then I've got no problem with them.

What I dislike are people who piss on zoos but have pets. It's like saying, "animals shouldn't be available for all to enjoy, animals should only be available for ME to enjoy."
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM · Report this
Woodland Park Zoo is an amazing establishment with good, humane exhibits and a focus on education and conservation rather than theatrics. The only problems come from animals that are inherently problematic to keep in captivity -- elephants come to mind.

There are plenty of awful zoos out there that don't take care of their animals -- Seattle is lucky enough to have one that shines across the board.
Posted by DavePLloyd on January 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 15
@13 don't be ridiculous. having a dog or a cat living in your home is vastly different than keeping an elephant or tiger or gorilla in a cage.

Posted by mr. herriman on January 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM · Report this
Claypatch 16
Zoos depress the livin hell outta me. I hate seeing animals in cages, even the outdoor cages, with the exception of the vast habitat type "animal parks". However, I am totally in favor of zoos other major missions: species preservation and education. I like the idea of zoos, I just cant go to them.
Posted by Claypatch on January 30, 2013 at 3:23 AM · Report this
Pseudo intellectual douchery...boring.
Posted by Paul Constant's Butt on January 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM · Report this
psbirch 18
And yet it's sooooo hard to find taxidermy in Seattle.
Posted by psbirch on January 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 19
@15,
Yeah, and like I said, it depends on the zoo. If they lock animals up in small cages that's bad. If they give them large, rich environments, that's good.

But people who say ALL zoos are cages, even the zoos that are great at animal rescue and preservation and treat their animals well, those people had better not have pets of their own because if they do, they're hypocrites. An animal held against its will is the same, whether it's in a zoo or in a home. People who think their pets love them and are free should try leaving the door open and let their pet decide for itself what it wants. I guarantee those people would never, NEVER, actually allow their pet to choose.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on January 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this