Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drunks

Friday, February 15, 2013

The Reign of Queen Elizabeth Warren

Posted by on Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM

A simple question to bank regulators: Have you ever brought a Wall Street bank to trial for breaking the law? Do banks always just settle? Doesn't this encourage banks to break the law because the cost of settling is much lower than the profits gained from breaking the law?

No one could name a single Wall Street bank that had been brought to trial.

The only response I would have respected would have been "Are you crazy? I have kids."
Posted by Keey on February 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM · Report this
GeneStoner 2
Isn't this the lady who claimed to be an American Indian in order to get into college?

Yet another Lib fake & Phony show...
Posted by GeneStoner on February 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM · Report this
I just had an oversight-gasm.

@2 yeah, there's no reason to think that grilling these revolving door clones for even a few minutes is a good idea. You're an idiot. Go back to Texas before you jam like your namesake.
Posted by Che Guava on February 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
@2: are you saying she's not NA? 0%?

lots of people have NA heritage in OK. even if she's 1/64th, you got to use what you got to get what you want.

its' not like only "Libs" do this - think John McCain would be in the Senate absent his POW status, or Rand Paul absent his father?

grow up. everyone's a hypocrite.
Posted by Max Solomon on February 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM · Report this
lark 5
Charles,
The simple and cynical answers to your questions are "no", "yes, we settle" and "we don't encourage breaking the law".

The problem and solution (?) are lawyers. It's as simple as that. I see an uphill battle against the banks for even renegade Senators like Warren. I don't forsee any real change happening in banking regulation while Warren remains in the Senate. But, she can try.

Disclosure, I am not a fan of Warrren.
Posted by lark on February 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
Shorter @2: Squirrel!
Posted by scott (the other one) on February 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this
treacle 7
Iceland told the IMF to fuck off, nationalized their banks, wrote off the debts... and won.

While Ireland accepted the advice of the bankers, put their banks' debt on the taxpayers (like the US did), and lost heavily.

Austerity is a fucking plot to screw people and make the rich richer. The problems in Greece and Ireland right now, are fabricated crises.
Posted by treacle on February 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM · Report this
GeneStoner: I think you smoke too much dope!

Here is a direct quote from the Washington Post on the issue:

The Globe obtained a portion of Warren’s application to Rutgers, which asks if prospective students want to apply for admission under the school’s Program for Minority Group Students. Warren answered “no.”

Stoner: Stay uninformed and comfortable in ill-informed stoned state!
Posted by eronbo on February 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM · Report this
I'm so proud. I helped send her to Congress.
Posted by Bugnroolet on February 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM · Report this
GeneStoner: I think you are smoking too much dope!

Here is the evidence on the matter from the Washington Post:

Stoner: Try to live a fact based reality. Is that possible for you?
Posted by eronbo on February 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM · Report this
Sean Kinney 11
treacle is my new Slog hero.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on February 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
ScienceNerd 12
@9 I wish I could have voted for her, I was really glad to see that she won. I can't wait to vote for her for president. :)
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on February 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 13
The drug companies get away with the same bullshit. I hope they're next on her list.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on February 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM · Report this
She's AWESOME!
So proud that she's my Senator!
Posted by drwas on February 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM · Report this
Jaymz 15
Beyond the messenger here to the message: Is anyone going to come on SLOG and defend the current system, where enormous banks shirk the system for massive profits, secure in the knowledge that they can outlast the government on any potential charges and force a favorable settlement much less than those profits? That the so-called open free-market system, and unregulated banks, will lead to prosperity for more than those few at the top? Time to crack down, break up the banks, and enforce fiscal responsibility.
Posted by Jaymz on February 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Jaymz 16
Often the new kid on the block can shake things up and get things done - Warren needs to keep kicking ass and taking names.
Posted by Jaymz on February 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM · Report this
@2, Gene the Jackhole,

When I first me Prof. Warren at a book signing many years ago (you HAVE read her most excellent books, haven't you, douchey?), and learned she was originally from Oklahoma, I asked if she had Cherokee ancestry as she most definitely looked part Cherokee (that light brown flaxen hair being a solid giveaway at the time) and was answered in the positive.

Whether Chuck Norris (a moron on the other side of politics) or Sen. Warren, Anglo-Cherokees have a most specific look -- so STFU already!
Posted by sgt_doom on February 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
At least we have one authentic democratic senator in the senate!
Posted by sgt_doom on February 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM · Report this
treacle 19
@11 - I buckle swashes too.
Posted by treacle on February 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 20
The irony of sgt. doom calling someone out on a crackpot conspiracy-like idea is thick and delicious as a cheesecake.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this
cressona 21
Chuck Norris is part Cherokee? I'm by no means a Chuck Norris fan, but I've got to say, that's pretty cool.

BTW, as long as we're talking famous Oklahomans who are part Cherokee, I decided one day to look up St. Louis Rams quarterback and former University of Oklahoma Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford. And I came across this:
Bradford is 1/16th Cherokee and listed as an official citizen on the Cherokee Nation tribe's rolls.[72][73] Bradford is the first person of identified Cherokee descent to start at quarterback for a Division I university since Sonny Sixkiller, a full-blooded Cherokee, who played for the University of Washington during the 1970–1972 seasons.[74] Bradford also holds the distinction of being the first Native American to win the Heisman Trophy.[75]
Posted by cressona on February 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Knat 22
When the 9/11 hearings were still going, I remember thinking that it was Biden who was asking all the questions that I really wanted answers to. Now, it's Elizabeth Warren that I see doing the same thing.

Back when the X-Men cartoon portrayed a female PotUS, I always thought they had Hilary in mind (considering her husband was in office at the time and she seemed so damned good at the First Lady role). But maybe it'll turn out to be Elizabeth Warren instead that they were predicting.
Posted by Knat on February 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 23
That's my girl! So very proud to have her in the US Senate. Been following her since Maxed Out.
Posted by Bauhaus I on February 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
GeneStoner 24
@17 "SGT Dumb" "Warren, who ran as a Democrat in Massachusetts, has said family folklore indicates she is some part Cherokee, but genealogical research hasn’t supported that notion, and she is not enrolled in any tribe. She has also not been known to be active or close with any Indian communities, organizations, or individuals.

Harvard Law School touted her as Native American after she was hired there in the 1990s and after she listed herself as minority in a law directory, but neither the school, nor Warren, had any proof that she is Native."

The problem is, y'all actually read the Washington COMpost and believe it. Speaking of douchery (a day after Valentine's Day no less)...
Posted by GeneStoner on February 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM · Report this
GeneStoner 25
By the way Sarn't, Rutgers ain't Harvard.

Just thought you should know, since you cited a Rutgers application that had nothing to do with her Har-vhud tenure in question.
Posted by GeneStoner on February 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Genestoner: as someone else said - SQUIRREL!

Also, I'm part Sioux but never have enrolled in a tribe or done a genealogical study. Does that mean I'm not part Sioux according to you?? No wait, don't answer that question because you'll give a non nonsensical answer that has nothing to do with the article in question! whoop whoop.
Posted by tigntink on February 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
blip 27
@24 This has nothing to do with anything.
Posted by blip on February 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
@24 And racism is racism, whether draped in a white sheet or refracted through blood quantum. Freepers are so predictable.
Posted by Che Guava on February 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM · Report this
@20, the douchetard to the max!

Try reading "Conspiracy Theory in America" by Lance deHaven-Smith prior to revealing your love in quoting CIA propaganda, douchey!

Of course, the prerequisite would be your ability to stay awake over more than several sentences.
Posted by sgt_doom on February 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM · Report this
GeneStoner 30
Just pointing out, Warren is another Liberal fake/phony/fraud; probably a mini-tyrant too.
Posted by GeneStoner on February 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM · Report this