Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Monday, February 18, 2013

What Do You Think of the Destiny Preview?

Posted by on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don't play console video games or MMORPGs—I simply don't have the time, what with all the books and movies—but the look of Bungie's new project, Destiny, has me drooling. Take a look at this promotional trailer:

The Polygon says:

Players will explore our solar system in Bungie's new first-person shooter, crafting personal stories as they travel Destiny's surreal, fantastic places.

As Guardians, players will battle alien species with exotic names like Sandeaters, War Rhinos and Spider Pirates. They'll wage war with time-traveling robots and evil space zombies. They'll have shared, social experiences that complement a crafted, mythic science-fiction universe.

The production art looks gorgeous, and I love the fact that this is a completely new science-fiction universe that seems to embrace any number of sci-fi concepts and feeds them into one huge storyline. If the actual game is anywhere near the pre-release hype, this looks like the kind of game that could completely ruin my life. But what do you think?

Cato the Younger Younger 1
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on February 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
Arsenic7 2
I know bungie can weave an interesting story. I was sad to see them get bogged down in mutliple halo sequels once they got bought up by Microsoft but their previous body of work shows that they are pretty good at making intriguing worlds and following up on some of their higher concept promises. Remember, the original Halo was considered to be pretty impressive on a technical and conceptual level. Amazing AI, huge spaces in which there was no loading, and great tactical choices plus some.

I hope it's "destined" for a next gen console but I've heard rumors of it being a 360/PS3 game.
Posted by Arsenic7 on February 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM · Report this
Pick1 3
My wariness comes from the "new ideas" they say they are implementing. These aren't very new ideas, in fact, so many MMOs promise these and then never properly implement them that they are still considered "new".

I throw a month or two at most MMOs so I'll likely play it, though I'm more excited for the Elder Scrolls MMO.
Posted by Pick1 on February 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM · Report this
This game looks like it could be everything I ever dreamed about since Gravitar..

I am curious as to how the MMO element will work. Clearly this should be action-based combat, so massive-world engagement will be limited. Also, Rival human factions?
Posted by Digitocalypse on February 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 5

Live from Kent...it's Mr. Technical Difficult (combination morning schock jock, but done with video game chats and screen captures):

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on February 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
spamky 6
So... you're a soldier killing aliens, humanity's only hope, and there's a mysterious big round thing in the sky? How is this not like Halo?
Posted by spamky on February 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Some of those Bungie guys look old enough to remember Richard Garriot making similar promises when Ultima Online was still under development.
Posted by Alden on February 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 8
Am I the only one to notice that every single person "interviewed" in the video were white men? Do they not have a single woman or minority working at Bungie besides the janitors?

Pass.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 9
Meh. I'll wait until the movie comes out.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on February 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
@9, you remind me of the 30 Rock line when a baseball team of poor minority kids visited Jack at work. One boy exclaimed in wonder, "some day I'll have an office like this to clean."
Posted by gloomy gus on February 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Alicia 11
@8 Seconded.
Posted by Alicia http://aliciaaho.com on February 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Report this
@6, I agree. In watching the video, I kept waiting for them to describe something that didn't sound like Halo, rehashed. SF may a a limited set of tropes, but there are more than three of them for fuck's sake. Elder Scrolls online, Neverwinter, and the new SimCity are my votes for timesucking awesomeness.
Posted by el ganador on February 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM · Report this
It sounds like they're doing more minimal multiplayer, glorified co-op, spreading player controlled entities among a mostly NPC-populated world, so that actual human interaction is unusual if not arranged by the players.

So.. a Borderlands MMO without the humor.
Posted by dirge on February 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Four and a half minute video and about ten seconds of actual gameplay.

Concept art is great, but Colonial Marines had concept art, that's that's a fucking bomb.

Everything about the game is just sci fi cliche after sci fi cliche ripped off from other games and books. That's not bad in and of itself. Halo did it. Fallout did it better. What matters is gameplay.
Posted by GermanSausage on February 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM · Report this
emor 15
The only game I am looking forward to is Bioshock Infinite.
Posted by emor on February 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 16
Never, ever invest any emotional attachment to an MMO until after it has come out, and even then, wait at least six months after release before jumping in.
Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on February 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Zebes 17
"Spider Pirate" is not exotic.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Knat 18
Some of the details are interesting, and so far I love most of the artwork, but I don't see anything to really get me excited. This is in such an early stage of development that it's hard to get too invested. This is going to be released for the next-gen consoles rumored to be rolling out later this year, and if they have absolutely no game play footage to show, I'd guess it's at least a year off.

@1: Since when is escapism totally off-limits? And, for the record, when a single franchise has multiple titles in the franchise that boast combined sales of over fifty million copies, in addition to numerous books, comic books, action figures, anime series and pajamas, you can hardly call its fans "hipsters".
Posted by Knat on February 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 19
@1: "You forgot to list "Another way for hipster males to avoid taking on adult responsiblities like caring for their fellow human beings and socializing with real people""

Hipsters don't play videogames, they wax nostalgic for games that existed before they were born.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 20
The game play involves your own smartphone? I don't think they understand the concept of escapism.

Here they drop you in a world where you have crazily futuristic weapons and spacecraft, yet in this world you communicate via your 2013 iPhone, tapping out letters on a qwerty keyboard, no less. Lame.
Posted by Free Lunch on February 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 21
@20: That is a point of disappointment. It looks like what Dragon Age was promising for its revolutionary "immersion". Oooooohhh, Facebook updates from the game! How modern.

I'm interested, but I want a game, not a social media ecosystem.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 22
@1: You may as well say the same about books, movies, music, and Slog. At the root, it is all about forgetting your world and visiting another for a small period of time.

Escapism makes the real world and its pains more tolerable, and its joys that much more vivid.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM · Report this
watchout5 23
I don't get the appeal. If you wanted this game why not just be playing planetside 2? Oh wait consoles are from the previous gaming generation right? You can't play the cool new free to play MMO's? You still have to buy $60 games that will charge you for pixels? Interesting relic from the past, but have they got to the point of explaining to you all the loading screens? Haha
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on February 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM · Report this
@8, @11

I work there. I have a vagina.
Posted by erly on February 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM · Report this
Fenrox 25
Promotional-trailer = Garbage.

Don't even watch that crap. If it isn't a gameplay trailer then you are a monster.
Posted by Fenrox on February 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this