Slog

Slog Music

Music, Nightlife,
and Drinks

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Good Morning, 'Merica, How Are You?

Posted by on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Did you know that the WWE has a Teabagger wrestler now? His name is Zeb Colter, and I think he's supposed to be a joke. Maybe?

When I was a kid, I sort of followed wrestling. I hated the Iron Sheik, because he seemed like an excuse for WWF fans to spread their jingoistic racism all over their favorite "sport." But now Zeb Colter seems to be flipping the script on those same proud 'Mericans by making fun of overzealous, under-educated Teabaggers. Or does he?

See, the "genius" of Teabaggers is that you can't tell if they're parodies or not. They are, more or less, satire-proof. Zeb Colter can be taken either way: A brave patriot, or a mocking bit of self-parody. Maybe this is the WWE hedging their bets. I honestly can't tell.

Maybe he's the McMahons' revenge on the Tea Party for scuttling Linda's Senate run.
Posted by Pope Buck I on February 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM · Report this
Rotten666 2
Fuck man.

I bet you got a lot of wedgies as a kid.
Posted by Rotten666 on February 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 3
@1: Yeah, both McMahons are right wing, but the WWE is much more left-wing in demographic than most people realize, so it could go either way.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 4
The WWE is a parallel universe soap opera. They will grab anything from the headlines or zeitgeist and try to write it into their storylines. A Teabaggin' wrassler is an obvious move.
Posted by Sir Vic on February 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM · Report this
The WWF's core fans aren't seeing anything ironically. Irony is largely an urban liberal hobby. The WWF's fans are either 13-year-old boys, or have the political sensibilities of 13-year-old boys. They're just seeing larger-than-life characters. Archetypes. Their crazy old uncle writ large upon the small screen.
Posted by rca on February 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 6
It's definitely both.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on February 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM · Report this
Maybe this is just Mcmahon doing market testing for 2016, seeing if she should go full teaparty, or pull back. Perhaps WWE/MMA fans (males 18-34) are the NASCAR dads of the future.
Posted by dirge on February 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 8
Remember the wrestler who was suppsed to be an IRS agent? He is pretty much the exact opposite of this "Zeb Colter." He used to come out and admonish the fans to pay their taxes. Obviously, he was a heel.

He wrestled in a button up suit and tie, it was hilarious! Ah, to be 10 again and watching rasslin' with my grandfather...

Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 9
@5: Exactly: the satire is so good that those being satirized and mocked cheer it on and beg for more!

It plays on the emotional immaturity of the fans to not even realize the joke being made. But keep in mind that most fans know it is fake, they just don't care. Mindless entertainment, male soap opera violence for its own sake.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM · Report this
I find myself liking Jack. Big, dumb, scruffy, blond, dipped in baby oil... sigh.
Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen on February 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 11
That outfits reminds me of Barberella.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on February 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 12
@9: "It plays on the emotional immaturity of the fans to not even realize the joke being made."

http://assets.nationaljournal.com/mte/ho… I always found this study fascinating.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM · Report this
stjerome 13
Was that "Rage against the machine" playing after that rant? Kinda Ironic.
Posted by stjerome on February 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM · Report this
tabletop_joe 14
Emotional immaturity, yakkity smakkity, don't be so snobbish. This is the closest modern equivalent to Greek theater that we have.
Posted by tabletop_joe on February 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM · Report this
As a WWE fan I can tell you that Jack Swagger and Zeb Coulter are definitely supposed to be bad guys, but this storyline is only a few weeks old so it remains to be seen if part of the audience begins to side with them. I think as long as they don't mention Obama it should be ok, if only because Jack Swagger is extremely unlikable. This is all setting up Swagger's Wrestlemania match with Alberto Del Rio, the Mexican good guy champion.

@13 Swagger's theme was a cover band apparently called Age against the machine, but his music has since been changed to something more appropriate.
Posted by wrestling is entertaining damn it on February 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Knat 16
Just 30 seconds or so of that first video was enough to remind me why I loathe wrestling. I had a good friend growing up who was really into it (he loved the Undertaker), but try as he might, he couldn't get me hooked. Yes, it's clearly fake, and McMahon has done away with pretending it's not, but that doesn't mean the acting is any better for it.
Posted by Knat on February 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@12: That actually makes sense in a way: most people I know who are into wrestling after age 10-13 are actually pretty liberal, just completely apathetic or ignorant about government and politics.

Older teens and young adults I guess. Socially liberal if you ask, but do not bother voting.

I also like how the WNBA is only a factor in areas that are solidly democratic. That is, if I am interpreting the graph correctly.

@14: I guess I should have been clearer, I mean to say that for those who are unable to understand what wrestling actually is, it is playing off their emotional immaturity. To those who understand what wrestling is and still choose to watch it, I imagine it is just another circus act to enjoy.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on February 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
sirkowski 18
@12 Thank you!
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on February 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM · Report this
They set him up as a heel (i.e. "bad guy") so they were obviously going for the parody angle.
Posted by bassplayerguy on February 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Professional wrestling has its own stylistic rules that I think are hard for Seattle hipsters to understand. Wrestling characters aren't parodies so much as caricatures of the current zeitgeist painted in broad strokes. That way a deeper existing narrative can be easily added to the violent poetics of a scripted match.

God I feel pretentious writing that, but what I'm trying to get across is that viewing it as wresting either making fun of or not making fun of something is the wrong mental construct to try and understand it.
Posted by Tent_Liberation_Army on February 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 21
@20: Some of the most hipster kids I know LOVE wrasslin'. Don't be exclusionary of demographics when you're criticizing the same.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 22
http://www.ronaldmcfondle.com/ , while I'm at it.
Posted by undead ayn rand on February 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this