What killed him? According to KIRO—and a claim filed by the man's mother—a combination of food allergies and medical neglect.
Around 5:46, a group of inmates arrived to serve breakfast and men began lining up. While others sat to eat, the camera first captured Saffioti at the guard's desk, holding his tray. Saffioti suffered from extreme dairy allergies and took regular pains to protect himself...
The video shows Saffioti apparently discussing his food with the guard, servers and fellow inmates.
He took a few bits of what seems to be oatmeal and then, "within a few minutes, [Michael] Saffioti was back at the guard desk, using his inhaler."
According to the legal claim, he asked to see a nurse. Instead, he was sent to his cell.
Over the next half hour, the video shows other inmates looking in Saffioti's cell as he jumped up and down.
The legal claim says he pressed his call button and was ignored.
About 35 minutes after he ate, a guard found Saffioti unconscious in his cell.
Paramedics were unable to revive him. It was the eighth prisoner death at the Snohomish facility in three years.
Four months later, marijuana was legalized in Washington state.