#Turkey protesters wear yellow hard-hats in solidarity with miners in #Soma. Death toll at 238. pic.twitter.com/scYWZc7R9X
— Jim Roberts (@nycjim) May 14, 2014
• Mining disaster in Turkey: The explosion has left at least 232 people dead. The energy minister says, "Regarding the rescue operation, I can say that our hopes are diminishing." There are estimated to still be 100 to 150 workers still in the mine. One miner said workers were not adequately protected:
"There is no security in this mine. The unions are just puppets and our management only cares about money."
• Fracking in Texas: How about some data on the enterprise? Seems like a good idea, especially after earthquakes.
• Talks in Ukraine: Also seems like a good idea, but...
• What's the problem with the Seattle Police Departments's failure to review shootings—like the one where officers shot a man in the rear end as he was running away?: The Community Police Commission, which is the civilian component of the federal reform settlement, takes interim Chief Harry Bailey to task for failing to review the four pending cop-involved shootings since he was appointed in January. (Yes, that's FOUR that need review just since the beginning of the year.
• Meanwhile, one of the candidates for SPD chief:: Says that the department needs "a sense of urgency." Hmmm, well, YES. Maybe we should hire this Kathy O'Toole person! After all, Boston’s longest-serving mayor, Thomas Menino—who chose her as that city’s first female police commissioner—says, “She’s a good kid.” Thomas Menino is 11 years older than O'Toole. Who knows, maybe he'd say the same thing about a man 11 years younger than him? It's Boston. Still, ugh. Here's the Seattle Times article on the candidate from Mesa, Arizona, police chief Frank Milstead, and here's the one on candidate Robert Lehner, police chief in Elk Grove, California.
• Get gay-married in Idaho!: Starting May 16! But hurry, before Idaho's Republican governor Butch Otter (real name) tries to stop you from entering into wedded etc.
• Chelsea Manning may be allowed to get hormone therapy: The Pentagon is working on a prison transfer to make this possible, so that's great.
• Nicole-Kidman-as-Grace-Kelly biopic premieres at Cannes: The film, which kicked off the famous French festival's 67th year, is being called "a breathtaking catastrophe"... Hey, SIFF starts tomorrow! And here is our tremendously thorough guide! (David Schmader says the opening-night film, a biopic on Jimi Hendrix, is actually really good.)
• Alec Baldwin rides bike, yells, tweets: He was allegedly going the wrong way on a one-way street. He might leave New York! So there! Best quote goes to Eddie Cacho, a stylist at the aptly named Dramatics NYC:
“I just thought it was an old senior citizen.”