Raising McCain

Stereolab's "Maverick" Moment

Comments

1
Interesting, Dave, but Ping Pong always struck me as so incredibly whimsical in it's delivery. If the intent is to exemplify society's lack of awareness, then it's a somewhat cynical performance. And, in a way, the style undermines the message. So, it's not surprising that at least half of all fans of this track would be totally ignorant of the content.
2
Jeff: I always thought of it as Stereolab sugarcoating a bitter pill. Seemed pretty sly...
3
In terms of fans being totally ignorant of the content, a friend of mine refers to this as her 'happy morning song'- on another note the album Mars Audiac Quartet is what kept me from going postal during business school.
4
I've never been a big Stereolab fan, but they really don't seem to me to be the kind of band one listens to for the lyrics. I think it's pretty easy to let their droney soundscapes and harmonies flow through your earholes without latching onto words.

In addition, I've known of them and read about them and had friends who were into them for well over a decade, and had never heard about their "well-documented interests in Marxism, situationism, and surrealism."

Odds are she heard the tune, liked it, didn't pay attention to the lyrics or the "well-documented interests" of the band, and blogged it. My $.02, anyway.
5
"I always thought of it as Stereolab sugarcoating a bitter pill. Seemed pretty sly..."

I agree, that's exactly what they're doing. But, I'm sure they also realize that they're only playing to the crowd that understands the layering of meaning there. As opposed to someone like Rage Against the Machine, which is just begging to get their message across. So, while it's interesting that McCain's daughter is most likely unaware of what she's posting, it will still go unnoticed by 90% of the listeners. And the other 10% were already on board. Not that it makes it any less interesting.
6
"In addition, I've known of them and read about them and had friends who were into them for well over a decade, and had never heard about their "well-documented interests in Marxism, situationism, and surrealism.""

you and your friends haven't been paying attention
7
All of the greatest pop music is subversive. I love how people are making a big deal out of the fact that the daughter of a candidate is listening to music that could be considered "Marxist." I guess she's only allowed to listen to Ted Nugent.

P.S. They killed last night at Showbox. Best show I've been to in a long time.
8
Politics and music?

They just wont stop trying to divide a nation thats fricking sick of politics.

Songs of war, politics, and Taxes?

Oh how Cool and Hippy Hop?

I created a new genra.

Hippy hop music.