Dorian "Doe" Lew (nicknamed "The Bean Sprout King"), 86, ran a succession of restaurants (the Tea Garden, Cathay Kitchen) and other ventures (Lew Construction, MonTeen Produce, Lew's Bean Sprouts) in the Seattle area from the early '50s until he retired in 1982. In between those gigs, he also worked in real estate and as a Boeing machinist and planner (in the late 1950s, he was a member of the original Boeing 707 design team). Lew died April 15 from natural causes.

John Henry Hauberg, 85, was a grandson of F. C. A. Denkmann, the brother-in-law and original partner of timber baron Frederick Weyerhaeuser. Hauberg worked for the Weyerhaeuser Co. in various stints from 1939 to 1989 (including 31 years as a member of its board of directors). As a side project on his own, after he left Weyerhaeuser's day-to-day management, he started the Pilchuck Tree Farm in Snohomish County's Cascade foothills, where he developed new varieties of Douglas Fir seedlings intended to be planted from scratch, grown to a specific height, and then clear-cut. In 1971, Hauberg and his wife Anne donated part of the Tree Farm's land to provide a site for the Pilchuck Glass School (which they co-founded with Dale Chihuly), the outfit most responsible for forever intertwining the words "Seattle" and "glass" in the art-world vocabulary. Hauberg also served in the management of the Seattle Symphony, Seattle Art Museum, Pacific Northwest Arts Center, American Crafts Council, American Federation of Arts, and Portland's Reed College; his personal collection of Northwest Coast native art was donated to SAM in 1990 and has toured to museums nationwide. He was also a longtime advocate for disabled and developmentally delayed children; he founded the UW's Center on Human Development & Disability, and lobbied in Olympia for legal and financial protection for these children and their families. Hauberg died on April 5 due to complications from a bacterial infection.

Evelyn Benson, 74, was married to longtime Seattle City Council Member George Benson for 57 years. From 1949 to 1994 they owned (and she mostly ran) the Mission Pharmacy at 19th and Aloha on Capitol Hill. On her own, she was a longtime official of Washington Cease Fire, a gun-control advocacy group. (She never kept a gun at the drugstore, which was robbed 29 times during the years she ran it; her success at foiling these robberies got her known as the "Annie Oakley of Capitol Hill.") Benson died April 28 from kidney disease.

Jeffrey J. Marshall, 20, was a UW student in astronomy and mathematics. He co-founded the Teriyaki Organization (a UW student group), was involved in art and music, and raced four times in the Seattle to Portland bicycle rally. Marshall died April 29 from diabetes.