The FotoCircle Gallery, one of Seattle's premier exhibitors of alternative art photography, closed its third and last location on June 1 after eight years. Founded in 1994 by a group of 13 photographers, it was originally located in the Washington Shoe Building on South Jackson Street. When the art spaces in the Shoe Building were all evicted for office development (the building is now virtually empty), FotoCircle moved in February 2000 to the OK Hotel building. When 2001's Ash Wednesday earthquake made that space unoccupiable, FotoCircle was denied government relocation assistance. A new space was finally located last September on the third floor of 562 First Avenue South. In May, the gallery's collective managers lost the lease there and decided to close, after mounting over 75 exhibits in the gallery's three spaces (only a few of which involved works by its co-managers). The website continues. (The group has had its share of bad luck with online siting as well; it had to take legal action to get back the domain name after a Montreal porn company maneuvered to hijack it.)

Peter Carl Puetz, 90, first entered what had been the elite universe of golf at age 11, when he worked as a caddy at the Seattle Golf Club. Two years later, when his father died, he dropped out of school to help support his family, working at meat and fish markets. In 1945 he and his brother Al co-founded the Puetz driving range at 120th and Aurora, now the oldest such establishment in the Seattle area. The brothers expanded the business in 1958 to include the region's (and perhaps the nation's) first discount golf shop, which was since followed by additional stores in Bellevue, Southcenter, and Tacoma. The Puetz Golf Superstores marked a step in the democratization of the great game, making possible such latter-day phenomena as Caddyshack, Happy Gilmore, and Tiger Woods' gazillion-buck Nike contract. (The company's now run by Peter's son David.) Peter Puetz died June 15 from complications of pneumonia.

Silas Trim Bissell, 60, was a grandson of the founder of the Bissell floor-care company. In January 1970, as a member of the militant antiwar group the Weathermen, he was arrested (along with his then-wife Judith) while trying to plant an incendiary bomb under a University of Washington portable building being used for ROTC offices. He was convicted but jumped bail. He was finally found in 1987 in Eugene, working as a physical therapist and artist under the name Terrence Peter Jackson. He served 18 months of a two-year sentence, then returned to Eugene, where he died June 15 of brain cancer.