Desperate addicts looking for that next sugar high.
Desperate addicts looking for that next sugar high. G & J FEY VIA GETTY IMAGES

Stoners in Colorado may want to stock up on weed gummy bears this weekend since they’ll be illegal by Monday. And if you’re a chronic marijuana user and have been feeling nauseous lately, you may want to check in with your doctor. Read on.

Kids Ruin Everything

Soon—very soon (October 1), weed gummy bears will be made illegal in Colorado, along with any edible “in the shape of a human, animal or fruit,” because apparently children aren’t smart enough to know the difference between weed candy and real candy. And that’s not all: California is also expected to ban edibles like gummy bears and lollipops that appeal to children. Damn kids, stop harshing our mellow!

Heavy Marijuana Use Can Make You Puke

A new marijuana-linked illness has been popping up at hospitals across the country. It’s called cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, and though it’s not actually new (doctors have known about it for about 15 years now), it’s becoming more common in Colorado and states where weed is legal. According to a professor at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, chronic marijuana users “develop intractable abdominal pain and vomiting that sort of comes and goes over the course of days to weeks.”

DEA Chief Steps Down

Looks like Chuck Rosenberg has had enough of Trump (join the club, buddy!), and will leave his post as Drug Enforcement Administration acting head on October 1. Rosenberg was a holdover from the Obama who often clashed with the new administration about marijuana research and the treatment of criminal suspects.

Now, of course, the new DEA chief will be nominated by Trump, and will probably be horrible/join forces with Attorney General Jeff Sessions over at the DOJ to create a doubly horrible, two-headed monster that will strip away state’s marijuana protections and enact mandatory minimums that target minorities for incarceration.

Awesome, can’t wait.

Target Sells CBD Oil, Then Removes It

Oopsie! Target had to pull four CW Hemp products (hemp capsules and CBD oils) listed on their online store under the “herbal supplements” category. Although Target sells other hemp products like shampoos and soaps, apparently this just went too far for the national retailer (since, after all, cannabis-derived products are still classified as Schedule 1 drugs). The company's statement on the matter explains a whole lot of nothing:

“We started carrying Charlotte’s Web hemp extract items last week on After further review, we have decided to remove it from our assortment.”

Drug and Marijuana Arrests Are Going Up

Drug arrests have been climbing lately, according to a report by the FBI: up 5 percent from 2015. That’s an average of one drug arrest every 25 seconds. And even though the FBI has stopped publishing marijuana arrest stats, Forbes columnist Tom Angell decided to do some digging himself. Here’s what he found out:

Marijuana possession busts comprised 37.36% of all reported drug arrests in the U.S. in 2016, and cannabis sales and manufacturing arrests accounted for another 4.18% of the total. Added together, marijuana arrests made up 41.54% of the 1,572,579 drug busts in the country last year. That means, based on an extrapolation, that police arrested people for cannabis 653,249 times in the U.S. in 2016. That averages out to about one marijuana arrest every 48 seconds. According to the same calculation, there were 643,121 U.S. cannabis arrests in 2015. So arrests for marijuana are on the rise, even as more states legalize it.

Ishmael Butler Is (In) Dope

Seattle local hip-hop hero Ishmael Butler from Shabazz Palaces spoke to Dope Magazine about Shabazz’s two new albums (Quazarz vs. The Jealous Machines and Quazarz: Born on a Gangster Star) and weed as creative inspiration (“it alters your state of mind”). He also had some things to say about the gentrification process that comes along with legal weed:

Q | How do you feel about the part legal weed has had in changing Seattle’s Central District, since Uncle Ike’s has become sort of a poster-business for gentrification?

A: I don’t know enough to say. But I will say that progress can take many forms. The notion that progress means this one thing, that people who live in a desirable location get replaced by more affluent, mostly white people who drive up the cost of living and existing in that area. So you get a whole cultural shift without any consideration for the prior people that lived there. I don’t subscribe to that model of progress. Things change, demographics change, that’s all well and good, but the style in which it happens seems like it’s some bullshit. It’s also imperialistic, redundant, not very colorful, not very inclusive. Any situation like that, whatever you call it—gentrification, progress, expansion—I don’t fuck with it. I think it’s kinda whack.