The Stranger's sister paper, The Portland Mercury, is losing beloved news reporter Doug Brown, who is leaving to do some important work with the ACLU (impressive!). We do wish him all the best! But you know what that means... the Mercury is hiring a news reporter! Could this person be you (or someone you know)? Read the job listing below, and if you know a good candidate, please help spread the word!
NOW HIRING: FULL TIME NEWS REPORTER
Good news: The Portland Mercury is hiring! We’re looking to add a full-time reporter to our award-winning staff—known locally for smart, deep, and accessible journalism. And we want someone with hustle and an unflinching drive to make a meaningful difference in our community.
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• A substantial body of professional work published within the past three years.
• Snappy, smart writing chops paired with a passion for long-form storytelling and a dedication to accuracy. Show us your well-cultivated voice.
• A demonstrated ability to devise and execute unique, high-quality story ideas—with little to no handholding—in an extremely competitive news market.
• Experience requesting and digging through public records in pursuit of scoops or must-read context.
• Flexibility. Be able to jump from the courthouse to city hall to a protest to wherever else you're needed. It’s a busy city.
• An easy, active relationship with social media.
• A thriving cultural life outside of work… and, seriously, a sense of humor.
• We’ll like you even more if you can take a good picture or build an amazing spreadsheet or infographic.
• We especially encourage people of color and women to apply!
Again, this is a full-time position—with competitive salary and benefits—in a profitable and stable company. Evening and weekend hours aren’t the norm, but they’re also not unheard of.
Interested applicants should send us a résumé, the best cover letter known to humankind, links/PDFs to at least three pieces, and four story ideas. Email everything to email@example.com. Snail mail won’t be accepted. Sorry!
Deadline for applications: Friday, February 2.
The Mercury is an equal opportunity employer.