The Stranger's sister paper down south, The Portland Mercury, is currently hiring a full-time ARTS EDITOR to join its fun and energetic editorial staff. Considered one of the most innovative media outlets in the country, the Mercury is looking for a writer/editor filled with passion, hustle, and the desire to share their love for—and critiques of—the Portland arts scene. This is an excellent position for a strong, engaging writer with a literary or fine arts degree. A background in journalism isn't required, but it doesn’t hurt.
Qualified applicants must possess the following:
• Previous and demonstrable editing and management experience (working in an arts-related field is a definite plus).
• Snappy, smart writing paired with a passion for digging deep into the arts scene (including books, theater, visual art, comics, podcasts, comedy, and more). Must respect and be interested in all forms of culture, from highbrow to low.
• Must be extremely organized and able to write reviews, blog daily, and manage freelancers. Also must have a demonstrated ability to devise and execute fresh, Pulitzer-worthy story ideas with little to no handholding.
• An ability and desire to build relationships within the art and performance community.
• Extra points for proofreading skills, a love of reading, social media expertise, a flexible schedule, and a thick skin (needed for writing honestly about those you may run into on the street).
• And of course: enthusiasm, professionalism, people skills, and a good sense of humor!
• We especially encourage applicants who are women, people of color, and/or members of the LGBTQ community to apply. The Portland Mercury is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits in a profitable, stable company. Evening and weekend hours are sometimes required. Interested applicants should send a résumé, links or PDFs to at least three published pieces, and a cover letter that won't bore us to death to email@example.com. Snail mail won’t be accepted. Sorry!
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 by 5 pm.