TheEmptyHands_.jpg

Support The Stranger

Martial-arts drama The Empty Hands is told with heart and humor. It is about an entitled slacker who has a strained relationship with her karate coach dad. She blames him for her mom leaving, and she also has lingering resentment about being forced to learn karate as a child (she quit before getting her black belt). She is also mad about growing up in an apartment he made into a dojo, which, after his passing, she plans to convert into multiple living spaces and rake in the cash as a slumlord. Except her dad wills her only 49 percent of it—the other 51 percent is left to an ex-student who seems intent on keeping the dojo open. Their inevitable clash ends in a proposition that forces her to evaluate what’s really important: He’ll give her his share if she can make it through (not necessarily win) a legitimate martial-arts competition. Highly entertaining, with a few actual laugh-out-loud moments.

The Empty Hands has its last screening today at the 44th annual Seattle International Film Festival, which is happening now through June 10. More recommended SIFF films here; and all SIFF films here.