I rate this attack ad Mildly Spicy.
I rate this attack ad 'Mildly Spicy.' Screenshot from DCCC Video "Remember"

Sponsored
Just announced! Jon Bellion at WaMu Theater on 7/16/19. Tix on sale this Friday!

On Thursday the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee selected Kim Schrier for its Red to Blue program. The designation earns Schrier, who's running against Republican Dino Rossi in the race to fill Rep. Reichert's seat in Washington's 8th Congressional District, some "strategic guidance, staff resources, candidate trainings, and more" from the DCCC.

Inducting Schrier into the program means that every contested congressional race in the Evergreen State is on the national radar. Lisa Brown, who's running against Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers in the 5th District has been on the list for a while. The DCCC added Democrat Carolyn Long to the list after exceeding expectations in her race against Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler in the 3rd.

If you've been watching your television, you may have noticed that the DCCC is already running an ad against Rossi.

Natalie Brand over at King 5 provides a good fact check on this ad, which lightly blunts some of the DCCC's claims. It also features one of my favorite kinds of broadcast news photo bombs: an employee walking around in the back carrying a big snack.

Yeah buddyyyy! Thats a good snack.
Yeah buddyyyy! That's a good snack. Screenshot from King 5

Meanwhile, yesterday 538 published their forecast for every Congressional race in 2018. Under their "Deluxe" setting, which takes into account "fundraising, past voting in the district, historical trends, and experts' ratings," they rate the race in the 8th a toss-up, giving Rossi a 50.1 percent chance of winning and Schrier a 49.9 percent chance.