Christopher Rufo's out. For real this time.
Rufo, who suspended his city council campaign in Seattle's 6th District after upwards of 20 people yelled at him online back in November, announced his full withdrawal in a Facebook post on Monday afternoon.
A couple weeks ago it looked like he was flirting with re-entry, but he has filed the appropriate paperwork with the city and the Washington State Public Disclosure Committee.
Though Rufo stands by the claim that online harassment drove him out of the race, his campaign was largely self-funded, drawing only 14 percent of donations from his own district.
In the post, Rufo said he donated "$5,600 in surplus funds to Union Gospel Mission," which he lauded as Seattle's "most effective organization at helping people overcome homelessness and get on the path to independence." UGM, a religious nonprofit that worked with the city to sweep The Jungle, provides beds and some legal aid to homeless populations. But it also refuses to hire gay people. Last year a bisexual man, Matthew Woods, filed suit against the organization.
Over e-mail, Rufo said he also "sent refund checks to donors who requested them."
Rufo's bad ideas for addressing the region's homelessness crisis included rebuilding "the family, community, and social bonds that once held America together" instead of building public housing, asking the corporate sector to donate a woefully inadequate $10 million to build emergency shelters, and institutionalizing the "dangerously mentally ill" in hospital beds the state doesn't even have due to lack of funding.
He's now "excited to be back at work" on a documentary for PBS about "three lost American cities."