The Seattle Press, "Seattle's Urban News Journal," suspended publication for the third time with its September 12 issue. The 17-year-old fortnightly tabloid had previously ceased operations in 1998 and again in June 2001. It was revived that August by new publisher David Sielaff. He reinvigorated its editorial content, adding political activism and syndicated columns to its traditional community-news coverage. The revamped Press covered the usual topics of neighborhood NIMBY groups opposing developers' plans, but also regularly advocated the Monorail Initiative, questioned state and local budget cuts to vital social services, and advocated more community-outreach programs in the public schools. The reincarnated Press achieved a free circulation of 31,000 copies, which Sielaff claimed was "the second largest circulation of any of Seattle's independently owned newspapers." But that wasn't enough to overcome the effects of the current economy, which has particularly crimped the ad budgets of the small neighborhood businesses upon which papers like the Press rely. In an editorial in the September 12 issue, Sielaff said he hoped the Press would "continue publication just as soon as circumstances permit." Its website remains up.

Cordova, 25, was believed to be the oldest northern sea otter in captivity. She'd been one of three otters at the "Rocky Shores" exhibit in Tacoma's Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, where she'd been on display since the exhibit's opening in 1981. Zoo veterinarians euthanized Cordova on September 11, after weeks of steady deterioration due to an inoperable ovarian tumor. Her death came five days after the Seattle Aquarium announced one of its own sea otters, Lootas, had given birth to a yet-unnamed female pup.

Richard Holmes, 73, was a Portland resident who'd suffered for years from colon and liver cancer. Last October he applied for a lethal prescription of barbiturates under Oregon's "death with dignity" initiative. But U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft moved to block the prescription, ordering the DEA to revoke the license of any doctor who provided it. It was the latest in a series of legal assaults (by courts, the U.S. Congress, and individual challengers) on the state's controversial euthanasia law, passed by voters in 1994 and again in a 1997 repeal drive. Holmes and euthanasia advocates immediately challenged the Ashcroft directive. A federal judge ruled in Holmes' favor and allowed him to obtain the bottle of Nembutal he had applied for. The case is still in the appeal process. But Holmes ended up never using the barbiturates. He died quietly on September 9 at his home, surrounded by relatives. (To date, 91 other Oregonians have taken the legal lethal medications, and approximately 1,000 others have obtained them.)