pic.twitter.com/U3VTY05mzc
— MELANIA TRUMP (@MELANIATRUMP) August 4, 2016
Melania Trump tweeted a denial of allegations that she may have broken US immigration law after a lengthy report from Politico shows inconsistencies in the somewhat shady official story of her arrival in the US.
Trump is now a US citizen, married to one Donald J. Trump, Republican presidential nominee. His opposition to illegal immigration, is, let’s say, strong.
The official story, which Melania Trump has taken pains to detail to multiple media outlets, has her landing in New York in 1996 with a bright and shiny new work visa.
But, earlier this week, the New York Post published photos of the former model, then Melania Knauss, which the photographer, Alé de Basseville, says were taken in 1995. The Politico story goes into all the nitty gritty visa details, but the gist is that, depending on which visa she had, if Trump did indeed work in the US before 1996, she could be in legal trouble.
Multiple people have alleged that Trump was in the US in 1995. Here’s a note from Slovenian journalist Bojan Požar, co-author of Melania Trump: The Inside Story:
“In 1995 she started coming to the USA according to the jobs she was getting at fashion agencies,” wrote Požar in an email to POLITICO. “We don’t know the exact dates of those before she officially settled in New York but her visits prior to that were temporary business opportunities that she had as a model.” Požar said he learned of these first jobs in America from two fashion agents, one in Italy and the other in Vienna, and that such trips abroad were common for Eastern European models but not “technically” legal.
Hope Hicks, the Trump camp’s master of flat denials, issued the following: “Melania followed all applicable laws and is now a proud citizen of the United States.”
